Saturday, May 15, 2010

Pontypool











Well, I finally saw the much hyped PONTYPOOL and I'm still thinking about it. I'm not sure if I liked it or not. I take that back - I did like it. It was a great movie. I'm not going to say too much about it because it is one of those movies that is far better the less you know about it. I avoided as much talk about it as i could, but I still knew too much.

I will say this - don't expect a zombie movie. At least not like your a-typical, "Romero" zombie film. If you can go in with a blank slate mind, you're better off. Just let the film...do it's thing.

I plan on watching this again in the near future. I need to digest it, mill over it for a few, then watch again to see it with new eyes.

The film is a masterwork of play variety, "lifeboat-style" films. The whole of it takes place in one spot and the acting and direction is fantastic. The sound design is also top notch and made me wish I had that five point sound system I always wanted for it.

Stephen McHattie turns in another great performance. He's one of those actors you've seen, but just have NO idea what his name is or what you've seen him in. I always like him when I see him, however. The other two main characters in the film are Lisa Houle and Georgina Reilly and they both don't have very much under their belts yet acting wise, but do a fantastic job in this feature.

As usual, I wrote down some of my thoughts while watching the goings on over at Radio 660 and looking back on them I can plainly see that I was rather invested in film. There were some moments where I found myself talking to the screen and telling people what they should and SHOULD NOT do which is always a sign that I actually care about what I'm watching. Especially when I wring my hands, laugh and say, "What the F$%#?! What the F*%# is going ON?!" Yeah...I think I was into it.

There is some great storytelling here. I think you should take a look for yourself and then tell me what YOU thought of the film. Film. Film. Thought....of the film. Film. Film. Film. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment