Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bedbugs

Don't Let the Bedbugs Bite

I can still fee the fresh air with that mist in it. The fog blowing in over the water with the sound of the waves crashing in over and over. They never stopped. The air was so clean and the sky was so huge, all filled with fog and mist. So open. The city lights reflected off the fog and everything was filled with a sort of glow. A light.

Now, it’s different. It’s stale and closed in and dark.

The first time I saw it, I thought I was fucking dreaming and didn’t do anything but stare off to where it scuttled off to dumbly. I just watched it leave without doing anything about it. I just went back to sleep. Fucking idiot.

I remember sitting with her and staring up at the fog. I was cold then, but I’d take being twice as cold right now over this.
“So, what was it?” She stirred her coffee and stared at me like she was trying to decide if she was going to smile or frown.
“I don’t know. I think I was just asleep. It didn’t make any sense. It was like friggin E.T. or something. I’m sure I was dreaming. Forget it.” I managed to laugh, but she was reluctant to join me.
“Well, have it looked at. It might be a rat or something.”

A rat or something. Big friggin rat that walked on it’s hind legs. The size of a five year old. Yeah, you might want to get someone in to look at that. If I wasn’t so scared right now, I’d laugh. I’d laugh my ass off.

But, I don’t make a fucking sound.

I can hear it coming closer with small, dragging steps and I keep my mouth shut and try to pull the sheets up around my nose so I can’t smell it’s breath. It smells stale and…like sick. Vomit. I can hear it. Feel it right in front of my face. It breathes on me and stares. I can feel it staring holes in my face, but I keep my eyes closed tight and pretend to sleep. I don’t want to see it. I caught a half glimpse and that was bad enough. Want to scream.

But I stay silent. Still. And I keep my eyes closed shut – pretending to sleep until it goes away.

God…it’s so close. It’s mouth rasps out in little, belching gasps of stench. I can feel the bile churning in my stomach.

I just wish it would go away. Just go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment