Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Dead Silence (2007)



Director James "Insidious" Wan made this little nugget back in 2007 and I recently re-watched it and it was just like I remembered it to be - frucking creepy.




We have a classic ghosty tale going here. Jamie Ashen's wife is murdered in a most mysterious and gruesome way. His search for his wife's killer leads him to an old tale from his childhood. Mary Shaw - a ventriloquist who was involved in a child's disappearance and was subsequently murdered by townspeople seeking revenge. It's said that she is a vengeful spirit now and that, if you see her, you can not scream or she's GET you. But, is she his wife's killer?



As usual, I'll end there and keep things spoiler free.

I enjoy this film immensely. It's packed with Night Gallery-like suspense and a fun and exciting little mystery story. And ventriloquist dummies. Creepy ones at that. Fantastic lighting and camerawork make this a film that's bound to please as long as you go in expecting to be entertained and not thrown into a fit of ecstasy. :)

James Wan is a fun and kinetic director. He has a great sense of style and place and he really knows how to set up scenes for maximum impact. While I'm not a huge fan of the SAW franchise as a whole, I did find SAW to be engaging and highly entertaining. Wan's work on DEAD SILENCE and  INSIDIOUS fills me with high hopes for his next item - Conjuring, currently in post-production and set for a 2013 release. I just hope that he brings something new to the table seeing as Conjuring is also about a family and the spirits that live among them. Chad and Carey Hayes - a twin writing team (there's a movie in that as well, I'm sure!) that worked on Whiteout and the House of Wax remake are taking on the writing side. Fingers crossed.

Check out DEAD SILENCE and let me know what you think in the comments!







No comments:

Post a Comment