Sunday, April 22, 2012

Cabin in the Woods


As a "Horror Guy", there are certain films that rise to the glorious heights of knocking my socks off. Movies I want to return to over and over again. Sure, they may not be fantastic from a film making standpoint, they may be dated due to when it was made, but they deliver on some grand level that sets them apart from other films of their genre. CABIN IN THE WOODS is one of these films.

It's a film that wins on many levels. The acting works well - the cast carries the story along exactly as they should. They play their roles and are believable and fun. The writing helps with that. They really got the writing right - filled with great characters, new reflections on the genre and some fun plot development that made CABIN a lot of fun to watch and experience. I didn't want it to end and half way through I found myself wondering when the film was coming out on DVD so I could purchase it at once.

Now, you can't say TOO much about the film without spoiling it. This is a spoiler free zone, so I won't say much more than what is already out in the world through trailers and ads. CABIN takes the classic "teens in the woods in a cabin" trope and turns it around, spanks it, and makes it it's own - making it something that is rather special and fun. 



Are there holes somewhere? Sure, maybe. You can poke holes in anything, really. However, I've seen a TON of horror movies. Like...really...if the reels were weighed, it would be tons. :) I've been through everything. Psychos, monsters and madmen. Ghosts and goblins. Foreign and domestic. I've grown rather jaded, really. I know what's going to happen before it happens more often than not. As I watch these lumbering anti-epics unfold, I find myself scrubbing through the Netflix stream or pressing the fast forward on the DVD player as i try to claw my way through to the end so I can add another one onto the WATCHED IT fire and move on.


 What I really enjoyed about it was that it's first strength is the writing, not the effects or gore. The script is tight and new and it delivers something that horror movie fans will really enjoy. The "same old thing" gains new life through some highly inventive plot changes. There was a fun mix of horror and humor that was reminiscent of EVIL DEAD. I loved the blend.  It also reminded me of other story based films like DEAD AND BURIED, APRIL FOOLS DAY and PONTYPOOL.  The story was the key. Everything else was just delicious gravy or icing. :) Drew "Cloverfield"/"Lost" Goddard directed the film and wrote it with Joss "Buffy"/"Firefly" Whedon. The combination was grand.They managed to present a horror film that has an edge and social awareness to it - one that dares to be different and one that says a lot about the current condition of the 20-something crowd.

Joss Whedon
CABIN had me giggling like a schoolboy as I watched the plot unfold. I think I may have even clapped my hands together in joy and whispered "Yeeeeeah" to my wife. (( We were one of two couples in the theater at the time and it wasn't going to bother anyone. :)  ))  That is rare. Very rare. My only regret is that I wasn't able to see it in a city theater with a larger crowd. I think that would be a fun experience.

If you're a horror fan who wants to see something new, fun and interesting, see CABIN IN THE WOODS at once.  If you prefer the same, dull and boring crap that is made time and time again, go seek out John Carpenter's THE *yawn* WARD and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment