Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Tall Man

I saw the cover at for this film and kept scrolling through the Netflix list passing it by with a smirk. Jessica Biel looking all worried. Figure behind her. I thought it was going to be another UNBORN disaster and didn't even want to fast forward through it to see the inevitable bad 3D scares it was going to have.

The MONDO MOVIE boys set me straight, however, saying that the film not only had substance, but wasn't going to be what I thought. Not at all. (Mondo Movie #116 https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/mondo-movie-116-biel-end-all/id117517270?i=123780898 SPOILERS! )

This film was a lot of fun and had a lot of substance to it. One can not go too far into it without giving things away. Suffice it to say that Biel plays a doctor (nurse, really) in a small, dying town. The mine has closed and the residents sit and wait for their lives to pass. It's a sad state of being where hope is just gone. To make things worse, there is something taking the children of the town. The Tall Man.

Still not sold? What if I were to tell you that this was directed by Pascal Laugier? You know, the Director of MARTYRS.  Oh, NOW I have your attention? :)  Now, I'll give you a heads up there - this isn't MARTYRS 2 and things never really reach Martyrs levels of...F'd-Up-Ness, for lack of a better term. But, you can see the style in there. The attention to detail. The focus on the scene and what's important within that scene. There are no wasted moves there and I appreciate it! And, the man knows how to write. This film has a strong story that really gripped me and shook me up a little. Another film that found me talking to the screen saying, "Wait...WHAT?!"

This is a smart and interesting thriller. One you will most likely enjoy. If you seek it out, let me know what you think! 






No comments:

Post a Comment